Thursday, September 11, 2008

Like Crack for an Addict


So today I sent over to the main library for some books.

Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton

The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila

Apologia Pro Vita Sua by Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman

Proving one thing. OK, two things. First, I'm pretty nerdy in my reading selection. Second, I do love old books. I love to smell them, handle them. I love the feel of the paper. The font, back before everything was Arial or Times New Roman. The binding. My dream job was book repair. The craftsmanship; they really don't make 'em like that anymore. Sadly, this dream job came with a less than dream paycheck and while beans and bulk rice are healthy, they lack some kind of culinary variety which is nice.

However, I'm sniffing these books like they were airplane glue.

Here's a copy of Lives of the Saints that I fixed up like new. Well not quite like new.

Because if it was NEW, what would be the point in wanting an old book?

(shoutout to stubby for giving me the book)

3 comments:

Kayra said...

Can you fix any book? because we have FIL's old bible (one of the few possessions of his we received from evil stepmother) that needs to be fixed. :D

AgaveGirl said...

Bibles require a lot of special materials and equipment because they tend to use much more flexible bindings and thinner paper. So sorry, I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking on a Bible.

Ha. That sounded funny for a convert.

Stubby said...

OK, it's not THAT old. I got it when I was about 10. OK - so it IS old. Just glad you can enjoy it. I know I read it from cover to cover more than a few times. Our lives somehow seem so boring.