Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Goodbye, my friend


Ha, how about an update, eh? That's what one does to blogs, right? In theory?

Nothing much new. Just fighting off old ladies in Walmart for the last box of cheesy Ritz Bitz because God knows, that's hurricane food. I did discover during Katrina that boxed red wine is a better choice than beer because it doesn't require refrigeration. Now that's a lesson you won't get on the weather channel.

On a more somber note, the world is less one good man after this weekend. My friend John Layne lost his battle with cancer on Saturday, August 30. One day too soon to see his favorite team not suck. Years too soon for the joy he would have brought to the lives of his friends. He was the most generous soul I have ever known (even if he lacked something in...dignity) and the world as I know it will never be the same. Requiscat in Pace, my friend.

http://obits.al.com/Mobile/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=116783334

Watch, O Lord,
with those who wake,
or watch or weep tonight,
and give your angels charge
over those who sleep.

Tend your sick ones,
O Lord Jesus Christ;
rest your weary ones;
bless your dying ones;
soothe your suffering ones;
pity your afflicted ones;
shield your joyous ones;
and all for your love's sake.

Amen.

--St. Augustine of Hippo

2 comments:

Kayra said...

Can't say I had ever read that prayer. I'm a bad Catholic for sure. Sorry to hear about John, it seems the good ones always go first.
now that I know where your blog is, I will stalk you. hee.

Anonymous said...

I'm not even Christian and I like that prayer :)