Thursday, July 31, 2008

Beer!


I thought of posting some witty insight, again, on frugality or spirituality or environmentalism. And honestly, all of those things are on my mind. But you know, beer ties into all of that. Beer is frugal ($1.75 a mug at Paddy O'Toole's!), beer is spiritual (it's proof God loves us and wants us to be happy) and it's good for the environment (plants reduce our carbon footprint!). And really, beer is all about love. It's frosty. It's foamy. It's so refreshing on a summer day. It's the reason my pants are too tight, but we won't go there.

What's more, beer brings the family together. Conversation between my husband and myself:

Husband: Guess who signed Manny Ramirez? The DODGERS.
Me: Ugh. Joe will be insufferable.
Husband: He already is. How do you think I found out about it?
Me: We need beer.
Husband: How about a few pints on the way home from work?

Sigh. Makes you all warm and fuzzy, no?

Plus, it's good for the economy. Maybe if I tip him, Buddy won't gripe about his car payment.

2 comments:

Stubby said...

Have to agree. The family that drinks together - passes out together. Oh wait. That isn't what I wanted to say. I'll have to go and find the email a friend sent me. Be back later.

Stubby said...

OK - I found it ~

'Without question, the greatest invention in the
history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the
wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does
not go nearly as well with pizza.'
~ Dave Barry

To some it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group.
~ Dave Howell

Saving the best for last ~

And saving the best for last, as explained by Cliff Clavin, of Cheers.

One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the 'Buffalo Theory' to
his buddy Norm.

Here's how it went:

'Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as
fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the
slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural
selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and
health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the
weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills
brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain
cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the
weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.
That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.'

Gotta love Cliffie!